Businesses accessing the wage subsidy scheme must still undertake best endeavours to pay employees 80% of their pre-COVID income. Where that is not possible – in particular where a business has no activity whatsoever due to the shutdown and workers are not working any hours, the subsidy must be passed on to the employee.
If you able to pay your employees 80% of their usual pay, you need to create a new leave element which will calculate 80% of their pay.
If you are unable to pay your employees 80% of their usual pay, you must pass on the subsidy. See How do we set up the government subsidy in iPayroll for a full-time employee? and How do we set up the government subsidy in iPayroll for a part-time employee? for further information.
Note: To easily follow any instructions in our Help Guide using this leave element, we recommend you make the Leave Taken Code 'COVID-19 80' as in the example below.
The payment for 80% of wages will be entered as a leave element in order for the payment to appear correctly on your employee's payslip.
Before you can do that, you need to set up a Leave Balance Name.
- In iPayroll, select Setup > Organisation.
The Organisation Details page displays.
- Select the Leave Balance Names sub-menu.
The Leave Balance Names page displays.
- Select +Add to add a special leave balance.
- Complete the fields as per the screenshot below:
- Select the blue tick to add the leave balance name.
You should now have a special leave balance:
In order for the payment to appear correctly on your employee's payslip, a leave element needs to be created.
- In iPayroll, select Setup > Pay Elements.
The Payments page displays.
- Select the Leave sub-menu.
The Leave page displays.
- Select the +Add button, then Add Leave Taken.
The Leave Details page displays.
- In the Basic Details section, complete as per the screenshot below:
- In the Leave Type section, complete as per the screenshot below:
- Select Save.
The Leave Element is added to the Active Special Leave table.
To find out how to apply this leave element to a timesheet, so your employee receives 80% of their pay, see I want to pay my employee 80% of their usual pay. How do I set that up in iPayroll?.