Note: The COVID-19 situation is changing. We will constantly be updating this section throughout the lockdown period. Please continue to check back here for regular updates.
Refer to the COVID-19 Change Log for any changes.
Many customers have been asking what to pay their employees at this unprecedented time. Below are links to government websites that offer free advice on the types of payments to pay your employees:
The wage subsidy scheme (detailed in the Work and Income link above) has been developed to help businesses and affected employees. The scheme offers:
- $585.80 per employee per week for full-time employees (who worked 20 or more hours per week before COVID-19), or the employee's normal salary, whichever is the lesser
- $350.00 per employee per week for part-time employees (fewer than 20 hours), or the employee's normal salary, whichever is the lesser
It will continue to be paid out in a lump sum covering the 12 weeks, meaning a $7,029.60 payment per full-time employee and $4,200.00 payment per part-time employee.
Note: Where an employee is paid less than the wage subsidy because their normal salary is less than the wage subsidy, the difference should be used for the wages of other affected employees.
If you choose to pay your staff as normal, no further action is required.
You can, however, set up a special leave element to track the normal salary of your employees during the lockdown period. See the I want to pay my employee their normal salary but treat it as a COVID-19 payment. How do I set that up in iPayroll? question in the COVID-19 Frequently Asked Questions article.
For more information on the impact COVID-19 has on your payroll, see the COVID-19 Frequently Asked Questions article.
- 02 April 2020 - Essential workers leave scheme established
- 28 March 2020 - Clarification of modification to wage subsidy scheme
- 27 March 2020 - Further steps to protect New Zealanders' jobs
“We still want employers to use their best endeavours to pay employees 80% of their normal salaries. Where this is not possible, we want the value of the subsidy to be passed on.
“But to be absolutely clear if a person’s income is normally less than the subsidy they can be paid their normal salary."
Hon Grant Robertson
- COVID-19 Change Log
- COVID-19 Frequently Asked Questions
- COVID-19 Pay Element for Full-Time Employees
- COVID-19 Pay Element for Part-Time Employees
- COVID-19 Pay Element for Leave Accrual
- COVID-19 Leave Element to Pay an Employee 80% of Their Usual Pay
- COVID-19 Leave Element to Pay an Employee Their Normal Salary