Open a payroll
To begin processing a new payroll, go to the Open Payroll page, check or enter the details and press the Open button.
One frequency e.g. weekly pay - Select “Open a new weekly payroll” to open the next payroll due.
In the first payroll, the normal pay day date and paid up to date are both set to roll forward automatically each frequency e.g. Weekly.
Multiple frequency e.g. weekly pay and a fortnightly pay - Choose the pay day date then the frequencies you need to pay, and select “Open a new Payroll”.
In the first payroll, the paid to dates are set for the system to roll forward after each payroll.
Each payroll you will see:
- Pay Day date = The date the employee has access to the money
- Confirm by date = The date the payroll has to be confirmed in iPayroll for banking to be completed by the due Pay Day date.
- Paid up to date = the date the employee is paid up to in the payroll
Open a One-Off Payroll
Sometimes it is necessary to run a payroll outside of the normal weekly / fortnightly / monthly cycle. To run such a payroll:
- Go to the Open a new Payroll page
- Select the Open a One-Off Payroll.
- Enter the Pay Day
- Press the 'Open a One-Off Payroll' button. (Then the Enter Timesheets page will be displayed).
- Select those you wish to pay then press the "Add Timesheet's" button.
Please Note: The system will not calculate the tax correctly in an 'Out of Cycle' One-Off Payroll if you are paying a person extra Ordinary Time, Overtime, or allowances that should have been included in the last pay, you need to:
- Take note of the amounts of PAYE/SLD the person paid in the payroll they were under paid.
- Work out the amounts of PAYE/SLD the person would have paid in that payroll if these payments had not been missed. On the person’s timesheet add the pay elements you paid them + the pay elements you owe them. Now take note of the PAYE/SLD amounts, as these are the total amount they should pay.
- The amounts they should have paid (B) less the amount they have paid (A) = the override PAYE/SLD amounts (C).
- Now delete the pay elements already paid to them, then click on the PAYE/SLD transactions and override PAYE/SLD amounts to the difference (B) — (A) = (C)
Special Pays may be run for many reasons e.g.
- Bonus payments
- Final pays
- Future payrolls
- Manual pays
- Overpayments and recovery
Special Pay - Empty Timesheet
When entering Special Pays you may want to start with "empty" Timesheets. For example, when making one-off bonus payments you will want an "empty" timesheet that doesn't include the person's Ordinary Time or any deductions (such as second bank accounts or union fees).
To add an "empty" timesheet, choose the Special Pay ("Empty" Timesheet) option as above on the Add a person's Timesheet page. This will save you having to manually delete the extra transactions.
Changing an Open Payroll
After a payroll has been opened, you will usually proceed to Enter, Check and Confirm the payroll.
However, sometimes it will be necessary to change the original payroll options...
- The Pay Day (or other dates) can be changed.
- The entire payroll can be deleted, if it is no longer required.
To make these changes:-
- Go to the Open Payroll page
- Select More Options...
- Change the pay day or other information as you require.
- Press the appropriate button.
- Open a new Payroll = delete the original payroll you created and have perhaps made changes to.
- Save Changes = change the date of the payroll and save changes without deleting any changes to 2.Enter that you have made.
Caution: If you press the Open a new Payroll button, your current payroll, including any timesheets you have entered, will be deleted.
Advance Pay Runs
Future payrolls can be created and run in advance.
- Open a new Payroll, entering your future Pay Day.
- Enter, Check and Confirm your payroll as usual.
- Contact us and we will close this payroll immediately so you can open your next normal or advanced payroll. We will create your banking files dated in advance so the payroll will still be paid on the correct date.
Note: Once the payroll has been closed no transactions in this payroll can be changed. You can make any changes in a new pay run.